SAUSAGE INGREDIENTS (15 LBS YIELD)
- 10 lbs Elk shoulder, trimmed, cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- 5 lbs Pork shoulder, trimmed, cut into 2-3 inch pieces
- 110 gr Montana Mex Jalapeño Seasoning Blend
- 82 gr Montana Mex Sweet Seasoning Blend
- 65 gr Montana Mex Mild Chile Seasoning Blend
- 1 ½ tsp Ground mace
- 1 tsp Herbs de provence
- ½ tsp Ground sage
- 25 gr Salt
- 8 gr Ground black pepper
Note: You’ll want to work with your meat still partially frozen to make for an easier grinding process and to prevent the smearing of fat. It’s additionally recommended to freeze your grinding plates and other cutting parts prior to grinding.
- Using a meat tumbler or large tub or bowl, combine elk and pork pieces and mix until evenly blended.
- In a small bowl, combine all dry ingredients and mix thoroughly. Add this spice blend to the meat and mix until the meat is evenly seasoned.
- Pass seasoned meat pieces through the largest die plate on your meat grinder two times.
At this point the sausage is ready to link or bag in bulk.
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic
- 8 oz jalapeño breakfast sausage
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 3 ½ cups milk
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- ⅛ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp Montana Mex Mild Chile Seasoning Blend
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp lemon zest
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage, increase the heat to med – hi and cook until the sausage is beginning to brown, but is not fully cooked.
- Add the onion and cook for 3 minutes until it turns translucent. By this time the sausage should be broken up into smaller pieces and be fully browned.
- Reduce the heat to Medium and add the garlic, thyme and Montana Mex Mild Chile Seasoning. Cook this for an additional minute. Add the flour and cook this for 1 minute while stirring it completely into the cooked sausage mixture. Add the milk and stir to incorporate fully and avoid any lumps from forming until the sauce begins to simmer and thicken. Add and stir in the salt, black pepper, lemon juice and zest. Taste and adjust to suit your preferences.
- To serve, ladle the gravy over your biscuits and top with fresh thyme leaves or other fresh herbs such as chopped chives or parsley. Enjoy!