Beginning this fall, the Baca National Wildlife Refuge in Colorado’s San Luis Valley will be open to hunters with a valid public-land elk license for Game Management Unit 82. An access permit is no longer required.
Hunters must continue to follow all Colorado hunting regulations, as well as the federal rules listed below. Hunters need to be aware that Private Land Only (PLO) licenses will not be valid for use on the refuge.
Valid hunting licenses will include:
- Archery: Over-the-counter Antlerless Elk
- Archery: Over-the-counter Either-sex Elk
- 2nd and 3rd Rifle: Over-the-counter Antlered Elk
- Muzzleloader: GMU 82 specific, Antlered and Antlerless Elk
- 1st and 4th Rifle: GMU 82 specific, Antlered Elk for the 1st and 4th rifle
- All Rifle Seasons: GMU 82 specific, Antlerless Elk
Go here for additional regulations and other information.
(Photo source: U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service)