Elk NetworkBull Elk ‘Blinded’ by Extension Cord Dies in Canada

General | February 7, 2020

A bull elk suffered a sad death after an extension cord got tangled up in its head and antlers. It happened south of Moose Jaw, Saskatchewan, where its body turned up next to a highway.


“I kind of felt sorry for the elk,” Kyle Hanson, Moose Jaw conservation officer, told CJME-AM. “The cord was wrapped around so tight that I couldn’t move it at all; it cut through one of his ears (and) just from looking at that, I assumed that he was hit by a vehicle just because he couldn’t see.”


Officials urge people living in the country to keep their property free of hammocks, soccer nets, garden supplies or anything else that may harm wildlife.


(Photo source: Saskatchewan Ministry of Environment)